Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dinner with Julia - A Christmas Present to Myself




Monday Morning Post

In case you're wondering why my Monday morning posts are showing up on Thursday or Saturday or the following week, it's because my blog host(Blogspot.com) seems to be having trouble and I can't always get on to blog. I thought this was just a loading blip but I researched it a little this AM and found that it's a common problem they're working on.

So, I'll keep plugging away until they fix it. I'll blog when I can, but I'll still strive for Monday morning.

I bought myself a Christmas present of the Julie & Julia DVD and have been watching it non stop since then. It is by far one of my favorite movies!

The movie encouraged me to get out my old copy of Julia'a Mastering the Art of French Cooking which I bought many years ago - some where around 1970 or so.

It's still in pristine condition because I never cooked anything from it. Oh, I skimmed the pages when I got it, only to decide (wrongly) that the recipes were too difficult and too time consuming to prepare.

Now, some 40 years later, I actually started to read the book and discovered that the recipes are purpose-ly long because Julia wanted to explain in detail what you need to do to have the dish come out perfectly. (Is this how people treat my recipes & cook books? They don't really read them and make the recipes in a hap-hazzard way? Oh, my.)

Anyway, I followed Julia's instructions about not skipping steps or doing things differently - even though I thought I knew better.

Well, my dears, just like in the movie, I stood over my pots of simmering stew and fluffy bowls of gossimer icings, spoon in hand and sighed, yum, over and over again.

Oh, the complexity of flavors. It was art for the palate. I am so in love with her cooking!

Yesterday, I made Coq au Vin and Orange Frosted Sponge Cake. It took me the whole day but when dinner time rolled around, it was food for the gods.

I wanted to lick the plate clean.

No comments: