Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent 2012 - Don't Give Up Something - Do Something

By Karla Jones Seidita
www.CheesecakeFarms.com





I've never been good at giving up things for Lent.  


Oh, I was better at it when I was young.  But now that I'm old, my good intentions evaporate after only a few hours of resolve.


A year or so ago, I had an epiphany. 


I came to the realization that my whole life was routinely about giving up stuff. 


To control my weight, I had already given up cake, ice cream and candy. 


To keep our household finances in check, I had given up impulse buying and using my credit card. 


To stay healthy, I avoid fun stuff like eating saturated fat, staying up late, high heeled shoes and jumbo lattes with whipped cream. 


So, I asked myself, what was there left to give up for lent?  


Then came the epiphany.  


Instead of giving up something for Lent, I would DO something for Lent.  It was a truly freeing moment!

So, each day during Lent, I did a little something - not much - just a little something more than I typically did. 


I walked the dog five minutes longer. 


What's the point of giving up things
for Lent when you already
live a frugal, spartan life????
When the cat wrapped herself around my legs, I picked her up and gave her a nuzzle.


I vacuumed my husband's car, weeded a flower bed I had been avoiding, sorted my old books and took a bag to the library re-sale shop. 


I even called an elderly aunt who was difficult to talk to.


By the time Easter Sunday came around, I felt re-born.   


I think that's the real reason for Lent..... the being re-born part.  


Giving up stuff for Lent?   
Well, that only made me cranky. 




No comments: